Many companies across the globe are enacting mandatory or optional work from home policies for their employees. Whether your job has always given the option to work from home or you’re new to the whole idea, we have recommended tips that provide ways to keep your work productivity higher than ever! Please know, we understand things are a little uncertain right now, but we’re all going to get through this together.
1. Set up a workspace that works for you and makes you feel comfortable. This is essential to staying productive – and, don’t rely too heavily on your couch! Take over a home desk, kitchen island, kitchen table, outside patio or terrace, whatever works for you! If at all possible, the bedroom should be avoided as a primary home office space and reserved for non-work hours, so it can continue to be your own personal haven after a long day of work.
2. We all know many people like to stay in their pajamas or sweatpants to take full advantage of the working from home policy. But, getting dressed like you’re going into the office or presenting yourself like you’re off to a casual work meeting will make you feel better and give you the extra boost of confidence to conquer the day.
3. Coordinate 20 to 30-minute “check-ins” every other day with co-workers who you work closely with. There are many virtual programs and apps that allow you to stay in touch easily and collaborate, brainstorm and stay on track with projects, like Skype for Business, Microsoft Teams, Google Hangouts or Slack. Incorporating these into the daily grind will help ensure projects push forward and keep everyone accountable.
4. Just like you would in an office setting, you should take intermittent breaks throughout the day. You should still set aside some time to take a proper lunch, and you can incorporate a 15 to 20-minute walk around the neighborhood or light stretching to get your blood flowing. If you’ve been wanting to try out meditation to stay sane from many hours spent indoors, try out Calm for a few minutes each day. Other ideas are taking up a quick lesson to learn or brush up on a foreign language through Duolingo; these lessons only take a few minutes and still require you to use your cognitive thinking!
5. Since you’ll be in the comfort of your own home, you can also do things you don’t typically get to do throughout normal business hours that don’t require a ton of time. Throw in some laundry, load the dishwasher or take out the trash just to give you enough time to take a short break and get back to your work tasks.
6. Things can get a little smelly from too much time spent indoors, so refresh your workspace and home with FunkAway’s Odor Eliminating Beads. If you have kids or teens and pets in the home, you can curb some of their built-up odors with FunkAway sprays.
By applying these tips to your daily work from home routine, you’ll feel more inspired to check off your to-do list and feel accomplished each and every day. Remember, we’re all in this together.
Are we missing something essential to productivity? Let us know in the comments!